Initial ideas, Bound

To begin with we liked the idea of using the painting ‘Bound by Love’. I noticed that the painting itself had a similarity to the shape of The Collection gallery. This interested me as I thought about the idea of creating the painting on a larger scale on the outside walls of The Collection building.

Bound by Love

(Grigoriev, 1997)

I like this idea as we would be bringing the painting outside into the courtyard for people to see it as they walk by.

This led us to think about the connection of the two sides of the building at the gallery. We noticed how they are mirroring each other, the cafe and the gallery education rooms, they reminded me of the two lovers in the painting and I wanted to explore that idea further.

We then started thinking about how we could recreate the painting on the building we thought about stringing the two together like the threads in the painting to show the connection between the two buildings and we had the idea of putting up white sheets at the end of the building to show the people in the painting. These are ideas that we are hoping to try out in the next few weeks but we need to get health and safety checks first on the ladders.

Alexei Grigoriev (1997) Bound by love, painting, 52 x 43cm, Lincoln: Usher Gallery